TODAY! 5 PM, STOP RACISM & UNION-BUSTING @ HARVARD!

OB Everyone everyone at lists.people-link.net
Mon Aug 26 06:44:08 EDT 2013

Dear All,

Algerian Immigrant Nassim Kerkache became a union rep at Harvard this year,
and was swiftly demoted three salary grades by a manager who says his
"English isn't good enough," to be a Coordinator, a job he's had for 9
years.

Senegalese immigrant Mamadou Ndiaye toils in a super-exploitative,
non-union job at Harvard, even though the HUCTW* contract says he should
have been in the union 5 years ago.

Paul Casey, who has 31+ years' service, returned from a disability leave
this Spring, only to swiftly face layoff from his job, which was just made
"essential" by Harvard in October. Colleagues believe he is facing a
discriminatory termination.

Marvin Byrd, a long-serving African American worker who walks with braces,
is the only union member in his department in his low salary grade, and is
held to just 25 hours/wk. Management recently promoted many other workers
in the same dept to positions above Marvin's head, holding Marvin back for
insulting and dishonest reasons.

Please join campus activists & our allies as we expose these glaring labor
abuses by the world's richest University! We'll meet at 5 pm, at 1350 Mass.
Ave., right next to the main entrance to the Harvard Square T stop.

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME Local 3650

*Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers