April 5: Climate Justice Teach-In: Race, Class, and the Anti-Ecological Logic of Capitalism

Eric Fields ericcfields at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 18:33:20 EST 2014

*Climate Justice Teach-In: Race, Class, and the Anti-Ecological Logic of
Capitalism*
April 5, 2014
Northeastern University, Boston , MA

This one day conference will explore the intersection of climate change and
social justice.

We've known about the dangers of climate change for more than two decades
and awareness continues to increase. We are already beginning to see the
consequences--frigid temperatures thanks to shifting polar vortex,
hurricanes, typhoons, flooding--and there is widespread support for
policies to mitigate climate change.

Yet, we haven't seen the wide scale changes in society we need and they
don't seem on the horizon. Why? What kind of movement (and, ultimately,
society) is required to respond seriously to climate change?

Speakers will address: What is the role of the capitalist political and
economic system in the climate crisis? How do racism, socioeconomic
inequality, and other longstanding forms of oppression facilitate
ecological destruction? Why should climate activists be concerned with a
broad-based view of social justice and why should social justice activists
be concerned with climate change?

A central goal of the conference is to promote climate justice perspectives
and analyses in the Boston area. How can we promote collaboration between
climate activists and social justice activists and build a strong climate
justice movement? Join us for discussion of these important questions!

Confirmed speakers:

Fred Magdoff, Professor Emeritus of Soil Science, University of Vermont and
co-author with John Bellamy Foster of "What Every Environmentalist needs to
know about Capitalism"

Jill Stein, Green Party and environmental activist

Daniel Faber, Professor of Sociology and Director of the Northeastern
Environmental Justice Research Collaborative, Northeastern University

Sherri Mitchell, Indigenous Rights Attorney and Activist and Executive
Director of the Land Peace Foundation

Sara Mersha, Director of Grantmaking and Advocacy, Grassroots International

More speakers and details to be announced.

Please forward to anyone you think may be interested!

RSVP and updates: https://www.facebook.com/events/471885616266772/