Holiday-time Sandy Relief Drive

OB Everyone everyone at lists.people-link.net
Thu Dec 13 21:14:21 EST 2012

Hello All

Some OB folk met @ the SAA 2 wks ago,  began planning for an OB and area effort
for a holiday-time Sandy relief drive.. We know many volunteers from
here-abouts  have made the trip down, and that others may be planning to do so-
but we had no good way of knowing who/how/when, etc. We might be effective
effort if we contacted each other, cooperated -- If a critical mass of folks
can be collected, we might be able to cadge or rent a big truck or bus, and get
many on board. If we provide large group transit in this way-- (think S17) we
might increase our numbers--- OB labor  being our most abundant resource.
   A larger, coordinated effort might increase visiblity and  donations.  And--
we see not just a truck and a car or 2 pulling out for NYC area-- but kind of a
big HOOplah,  with big press coverage, pan-banging, Santas in Guy Fawkes masks,
--Would be a service to all Sandy victims, and a great bit of OB outreach.

Kevin O'Connell, who has been down there and is in good contact with Sandy
efforts, has done a lot of work on this. Below, edited messages from
him.

" In  Brooklyn last weekend,--spoke with folks about Christmas/Toys for
families, etc. They are now stressing cleaning/demo/re-building supplies, food,
clothing-- not  toys. Need for recovery is priority.--toy drives are already
happening outside of Occupy---http://secretsandy.org
But- kids do need school supplies and Backpacks, notebooks, binders, folders,
rulers, pens-- anything creative related.   This could be a task for OB -- they
want backpacks already assembled {with all the above stuff inside.} We could
accept new and slightly used backpacks and new school/creative supplies, pack
the packs, bring them to the dist. ctr. Since holiday is close, collection does
not have to be holiday specific--- could be for school break fun, etc, so
getting there by end of yr is OK.

Idea; http://sandybackpacks.com, plays off idea of water & sand ruined
backpacks {please see} And, a Facebook acct. (all 'Sandybackpacks'),  all
linked.

Donation structured 2-fold: Donations at Drop-off locations;  OR-  Donations
via Amazon.com wedding registry, which would ship stuff to a location for us to
bundle---- We could include a card, etc in the back with Occupy, etc , info,...

Please send feedback re site, design, plan, etc."

Kevin O'Connell

II.

Needed to get the ball rolling:

1}-Location for  UPS/FEDEX/USPS deliveries during the day from Amazon.com etc.:
where someone would be around during the day or a secure spot where they could
leave the packages. -Question: Should UPS/etc. spot be the same  as a local
drop-off location?

2}-Set up a registry on Amazon.com or another registry/Credit Card
site that ships backpacks and school supplies.  {-I was thinking
Amazon, has variety of supplies for cheap and a good track record w/
OccupySandy folks.  -Other site with list/registry /shopping cart
format would also work}

3. We should get together a few people who can browse the website,
select preferred items: -ie. $25-30 backpacks, $20 Packs of notebooks,
$10 packs of Pens, $5 markers, etc.  -we should breakdown what we need
into ratios (50 backpacks=100notebooks= 100folders=250- 500pens=etc)
-When Items/Registry is up, I can link to it from the site and then
Tweet/ Facebook the site to the interwebs; then, start accepting
donations via the Internet/Amazon Route

4} Local donation sites for drop- off of backpacks/supplies {posted on
website with map/directions} -Question: Types of places--, people's
houses, community centers, locally owned stores,.?  -Question: Could
we pickup from volunteer/donators who cannot get to a donation site?

NEED--secure a locked central collection site for storage and assembly
of Packs/supplies -When we have drop-off locations, I'll add them to
website, publish it on forums/twitter(different Boston feeds) and
start collecting

5}-Meet up to finalize the plan/ /split up duties for the drive.  -
How to keep in touch via forum/online groups?  -Forms of outreach via
physical(non-internet) forms of info distribution?  Design Flyers??

Ad in local papers? Media from people covering occupy(Phoenix?
UnRegular Radio?Mainstream Media?)  : "Flyering" at the Mall/Downtown
Areas a few hours on the weekend-- w/ directions to Donation
sites?/Flyers on Community Message boards?

6 Organize an event , ask folk to bring backpacks/supplies?(The
benefit concert posted on the OB site would be a great place for
that;, Will organizers agree to tie in with us?  Would the spread the
word about donation sites/amazon, possibly collect at the event?

Question:  Where/ when to meet face to face to continue planning?

Quick Summary: Delivery Location, Registry/Items Assembly, Local Donation/
Pickup Centers, Central Storage, Dates We Will Assemble, Outreach.  Meeting??

Thanks, I'll be in touch--- Please be in touch with me if you want to join
in!!!

Kevin

PS. Any Sandy Related  videos/pictures/News articles that anyone sees, send to
me,  I'll put them on the SandyBackpacks site.